Monday, January 6, 2014

Words.

Be impeccable with your word.

I can't say I have been impeccable with my word but it's something I will strive for. I want my word to be gold. Words have power. No, not just if you give them power. They have power. They are important. The words you choose effect people, even if you don't intend it.

This isn't about being "politically correct" I don't care about political correctness. I care about kindness, shouldn't we all aim for kindness, for LOVE. I know I always want to be more like Bram, I want to love fearlessly and that cannot be done without first being kind.

Personally there are expressions that have pained me. Phrases that we've been desensitized to. Phrases that I have used and regret using because they are careless and thoughtless and this life is too tender and too short to waste it on living without care, thoughts, or intention. 

How many times have you said:

"He's dead asleep." Or "I slept like the dead"

Have you ever been embarrassed and said "I about died!"

Heard a joke and responded with "You're killing me!" or "I just about died laughing!"

Or met with a difficult situation responded with "Shoot me" "That nearly killed me" "Just about keeled over" "It's going to be the death of me" "Almost killed myself.."

Been upset and said "I'm going to kill him/her"

Been successful and said "killed it" or "murdered it"

o.O

I have to say. It HURTS to read or hear those words. This is not ok. (as a side note I loathe the phrase "I feel like I was hit by a truck" no you don't.)

And it's not just those words, but words like "gay" and "retarded" and "God" and "hate" are thrown around. So few people are thinking about what is being said and just let the words fall out.

I'm sure some people will read this and think "oh lighten up!" No. I won't lighten up. "If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor" -Desmond Tutu. Choosing words that hurt, is choosing to be a hurtful person, it is choosing apathy, it is choosing cruelty, it is choosing to make a world without peace and love.

I choose love. Bram chose love, always, he loved. Bram got it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and loving Bram!