Monday, January 6, 2014

Understanding pain

Over the last week I've been in pain for different reasons, an infected tooth, and now norovirus.

As miserable as it's been, I've been comforted by the fact that this isn't the worst pain I've known. The tooth was one of the worst physical pains I've ever known and I've got a pretty high pain tolerance.

But none of it comes close to the pain of grief, the pain of watching my son die, the pain of knowing that his death was brutal and violent and abrupt, the pain of being a mother without her child. I had no idea that this kind of pain existed. And some how I live with it every day. Some how I keep breathing, and living, and being. I think that's pretty remarkable.

It impresses upon me the resiliency of humans, of our bodies and souls and the capability to live in the worst of circumstance. Its humbling to think of the number of people who live every day with broken hearts and scarred souls and make me so thankful for these beautiful people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and loving Bram!